1. The Club shall be called the ‘Dorset Light Photographic Club’ and any person interested in photography, and over the age of 18, may apply for membership.
2. The aim of the Club is to promote a wider understanding of the art and craft of photography in all its aspects, and to expand members' photographic knowledge and skills through a mixture of lectures, competitions, tuition and other activities within a social environment.
3. The income and property of the Club shall be applied solely towards the promotion of the Club’s objectives, and no part shall be paid or transferred, directly or indirectly, by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise by way of profit, to members of the Club, and no trustee shall be appointed to any office of the Club, be paid by salary or fees, or receive any remuneration or other benefit in money or money’s worth from the Club.
If the Club is wound up or dissolved and, after all its debts and liabilities have been satisfied, there remains any property it shall not be paid or distributed among the members of the Club, but shall be transferred to some other Club, charity, or charities having similar objectives.
4. The Club may have a Chairman who shall be elected by the Committee, for a period of 2 years, renewable by mutual agreement with the committee, plus any additional time needed to take tenure to the next AGM. The Chairman may attend any Club activity, vote as an officer, and count as one of a quorum. They shall also retain all membership benefits, including the right to resign.
5. The affairs of the Club shall be managed by a committee which shall consist of at least 1 officer (which may include a Chair, Secretary and Treasurer), and a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 8 ordinary committee members. All Committee members will be elected bi-annually at the Annual General meeting (AGM) following the end of their term in post.
(a) The committee may co-opt a member or members onto the committee, for a specific purpose or task. Those co-opted for a specific task will only be able to cast a vote on matters relevant to that task.
6. Officers and ordinary committee members are eligible for re-election bi-annually.
7. The Secretary or Assistant Secretary shall take the minutes of all committee meetings and conduct the correspondence of the Club.
8. The Treasurer shall collect all subscriptions and conduct all financial transactions on behalf of the Club as instructed by the committee. The Treasurer will also draw up a balance sheet at the end of each year, the Club year running from September to August, to be audited by 1 or more persons appointed by the committee to do so.
(a) The Committee, through the Treasurer & Secretary, is responsible for ensuring that the Club is adequately insured to cover public liability, property and the membership.
9. The Club shall hold an AGM each year (September to August). The committee will provide at least 30 days notice of the AGM to paid-up members of the club. Any items for inclusion on the agenda must be in the hands of the Secretary at least 14 days prior to the AGM.
10. The annual subscription for members shall become due on the first program date of the new season in September and is payable no later than 31st October following. If new members join during the year, the subscription payable will be pro-rata'd for the remaining period and is due on the first program date after joining and is payable no later than 6 weeks following.
(a) Membership is subject to approval by the Committee.
(b) The Club welcomes visitors to all its meetings. A fee is payable at the discretion of the Committee. Members will be entitled to bring to meetings prospective members or other guests. This will be limited to 4 visits per guest per year (excluding social events).
(c) An Associate Membership is available for those who wish to be a member of the club but are not able to participate regularly at the fortnightly meetings. The Associate fee allows the Associate Member free entry to 6 club meetings in a year (September to August) without paying a guest fee along with eligibility to pay the member price for external events and trips within the relevant year.
(d) Any member wishing to resign shall give written notice to the Secretary. If resignation is within 1 month of taking out membership, Dorset Light Photographic Club will refund 50% of the subscription paid, if a resignation is after this time, no refund of subscription is payable.
(e) The Club shall meet at 7.30pm on alternate Wednesdays from September to August. The Committee have discretion to alter the date, time and venue of meetings as desirable and necessary and to arrange outings and extra meetings.
(f) The Committee shall make every effort to supply to each member and post on the Club website/Facebook page, the programme for the forthcoming meetings and events.
(g) Any member changing either postal or email address must notify the Secretary as soon as possible, otherwise any notices sent to the address(es) shall be held as duly delivered.
(h) Members will be asked to complete a survey each new year for the following purposes -
- ensure the club has the most up to date contact information for the members
- to ask for feedback on the previous year
- to ask for ideas to include for the club calendar going forward
11. Any trips or events that are additional cost will be offered to fully paid members and associate members in the first instance. If an event is not fully booked at 8 weeks in advance of the event date, places will then be offered to non members at a cost of event/trip price + 10%. The number of places available for events will be published and will be dealt with on a first come first served basis. No bookings will be guaranteed until a 25% non refundable deposit has been made and the completed booking slip received by the Club Secretary.
12. Any member who, in the opinion of the committee, brings the Club into disrepute will be required to account for his or her actions to the committee.
(a) It is a condition of membership that members agree to abide by the constitution. A copy of the Constitution shall be supplied to every paid-up member of the Club and is available on the Club website page.
(b) No Member shall be expelled without first having an opportunity of appearing before the Committee and answering the complaint and without a resolution in favour of expulsion by at least two-thirds of the Committee Members voting at such meeting.
(c) A Member who is expelled shall not be entitled to any refund of subscription.
12. Extraordinary General Meetings (EGM) may be requested by the committee or convened on a requisition signed by five ordinary members and be received by the Secretary at least 14 days before the date proposed. Notice of the meeting and details of the proposed resolution(s) shall be posted on the Club website and/or Facebook page.
13. Meeting Quorum
a) At committee meetings, no fewer than 3 persons shall be present and shall comprise at least one officer plus members of the Committee.
b) At an EGM, at least one officer and all other committee members have to be in attendance in addition to 5 paid-up members of the club.
c) At an AGM, no quorum is necessary.
In all three cases, decisions shall be made by simple majority of those present at the meeting.
14. No alterations or additions to these Constitution rules shall be made except at either an AGM or EGM
15. Emergencies: In the event of anything occurring not provided for or not clear in the foregoing rules, the Committee shall have power to deal with the same at their discretion.
A separate handbook will be published regarding the rules for competitions and exhibitions.
Approved at a Quorate EGM of Dorset Light Photographic Club